Interfacing with a Smart Card
If you're new to SmartCache, perform the following to get started.
- and install SmartCache.
- If you have a smart card reader, connect it to your PC.
If you don't have a smart card reader, you can purchase one on the Internet for a reasonable price.
We suggest the ACS ACR39U PC/SC reader. One such vendor is
Purchase an ACOS smart card. SmartCache supports ACOS1, ACOS2, ACOS3 and ACOS3X smart cards.
These can be purchased on the Internet for a few dollars. We suggest the ACOS3 64 KB smart card.
One such vendor is .
Once you have a smart card reader and ACOS smart card, connect the smart card reader to
your PC and insert the smart card into the reader (contacts facing up for a PC/SC reader).
Open SmartCache and click the Settings button and select your smart card reader. Change
any other settings as desired. Click the OK button.
Click the Initialize button to initialize the smart card. Once the smart card is initialized,
it does not need to be (and cannot be) initialized again.
- Click the Read button and verify there are no records on the card.
- You can now add records to the list and save them to the smart card by clicking the Write Changes button.
Working with Files
In addition to saving data to a smart card, SmartCache allows you to save data to a file.
All list operations are available regardless of whether the data is saved to a smart
card or a file. This means that SmartCache if fully functional without the need for a smart
card reader or smart card.
The data in the file is encrypted using dynamic key 168-bit 3DES encryption and checksummed
with a 64-bit CRC. Data in the records list is saved to a file by clicking the Save to File...
button. You have the option of password protecting the file. Files can be loaded by clicking the
Load File... button or dragging and dropping a file onto SmartCache from Windows Explorer.
Transferring Data Between Smart Cards
If you initialized a smart card with a version of SmartCache earlier than 3.0, the smart card is
compatible with SmartCache 3.0, but the available capacity is fixed at 8 KB, regardless of the smart
card capacity. Furthermore, for ACOS2, ACOS3 and ACOS3X smart cards, which support faster read and write
speeds, if they were initialized with a version of SmartCache earlier than 3.0, the read and write speed
is fixed at its slowest rate; this cannot be changed.
To take advantage of an ACOS smart card with EEPROM size greater than 8 KB and higher read and write speeds,
the smart card must be initialized with SmartCache 3.0. To transfer data from one smart card to another, perform
the following steps using SmartCache 3.0:
- Insert the old smart card in the smart card reader and click the Read button.
- Click the Save to File... button to save the data to a file.
- Insert the new smart card in the smart card reader and click the Initialize button.
- Click the Read button.
- Click the Load File... button and select the file saved in the second step.
- Click the Write Changes button to write the data to the smart card.
- Click the Read button and verify the data was saved on the smart card.